Attorney General to review sentence for St Albans paedophile
THE Attorney General has agreed to review the prison sentence handed out to St Albans paedophile Colin Wray, following a request by an MP from Hertfordshire. Mike Penning, MP for Hemel Hempstead, wrote to Attorney General Baroness Scotland this week askin
THE Attorney General has agreed to review the prison sentence handed out to St Albans paedophile Colin Wray, following a request by an MP from Hertfordshire.
Mike Penning, MP for Hemel Hempstead, wrote to Attorney General Baroness Scotland this week asking for her to review the four year jail term handed out to Wray, of Gorham Drive, for a history of abuse against children in the '70s and '80s.
Some of the offences took place in Hemel Hempstead, and only came to light after his victim, Tracy Lawrence from Hatfield, came forward last year.
Wray, 60, was sentenced to four years in jail at St Albans Crown Court earlier this month, but having pleaded guilty to the offences, and the fact he will be allowed to be released on licence after serving half his sentence, he could be out after just 16 months.
You may also want to watch:
But following Mr Penning's letter, the Attorney General has asked for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to hand over the case papers for Wray.
Mr Penning said: "I am delighted that the Attorney General has agreed that the case is worth looking at. It is outrageous and very worrying that this monster could be eligible for release after just 16 months."
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 3 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
Mrs Lawrence, 37, praised Mr Penning, saying: "It feels good to know there's someone else out there fighting your corner.