Attempted abduction in St Albans foiled
A MAN attempted to drag a woman off a street in St Albans and bundle her into his car while two passing motorists slowed down to see what going on and then continued driving. The 41-year-old woman was walking to work up Folly Lane at 6.40am on Friday morn
A MAN attempted to drag a woman off a street in St Albans and bundle her into his car while two passing motorists slowed down to see what going on and then continued driving.
The 41-year-old woman was walking to work up Folly Lane at 6.40am on Friday morning when she heard a car pull up behind her and a man grabbed her right arm from behind.
She started to struggle and her attacker began to make threats towards her. He then tried to force her into the front passenger seat of his car - a white Ford Focus. The woman, who is from St Albans, continued to fight against the man and kicked the front passenger door of the vehicle, possibly causing damage.
She finally managed to break free and ran away. The man got back into the car and drove off towards the city centre.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Julie Hurrell-Nugent said: "We would ask that anyone who witnessed this incident or who has information to come and speak to us.
"We are aware that two motorists did slow down as it was happening and this may well have distracted the offender enough to allow the victim to escape. They may not have realised the true extent of what was going on but it's vital that we speak to them as soon as possible."
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
Police would also like people to keep an eye out for a white Ford Focus which has probably got damage to the front passenger side door.
The attacker is described as black, well built, about 6 ft tall and aged between 35 and 40. He was wearing a dark green coat, a black beanie hat, blue jeans and white/multi-coloured trainers. At the time of the attack the woman was wearing a grey coat and grey trousers.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 01707 638232 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.