Atlanta Falcons train at Arsenal’s London Colney grounds ahead of NFL clash at Wembley
- Credit: Debbie White
A different kind of football took place at Arsenal’s state-of-the-art training grounds in London Colney today (Friday) as the Atlanta Falcons were put through their paces ahead of Sunday’s NFL game at Wembley Stadium.
Shortly after Gunners’ boss Arsene Wenger had spoken to journalists at his weekly press conference, a 50-strong media contingent made their way to see the visiting National Football League players.
Practicing to the beat of MC Hammer’s “U Can’t Touch This” being blasted across the training pitches, 63 NFL players were preparing for their clash against the Detroit Lions in London.
The Herts Ad was told that Arsenal’s London Colney training grounds was the place of choice for the Falcons, who are apparently coping well with the weather.
The St Albans location was chosen because of the state-of-the-art facilities, and proximity to where the stars are staying, at luxury hotel The Grove.
You may also want to watch:
Logistically it was, apparently, a “no-brainer” for the NFL players, who touched down in England on Monday (20).
And Arsenal itself won applause from the Falcons for making the visiting team feel “very welcome” this week.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
Away from training, the NFL players have already visited school children in London, to discuss the popular sport.
They spent an hour-and-a-half training today, dubbed “fast Friday” as they had to increase the tempo on the field.
When not at London Colney, the team has been having walks through woodland at The Grove.
Coach Mike Smith has told reporters that centre James Stone will start for the Falcons this weekend.
The Atlanta Falcons are hosting the Detroit Lions this Sunday (26) in one of three NFL international series games at Wembley this season.
Kick-off is at 1.30pm, to give fans a fourth game window on an NFL Sunday for the first time.