At last, Tesco commits to refurbishing rundown St Albans houses
TESCO has committed itself to refurbishing and bringing back into use dilapidated houses in St Albans which have been blighted by their supermarket scheme. The supermarket giant has applied for planning permission to restore eight houses in London Road,
TESCO has committed itself to refurbishing and bringing back into use dilapidated houses in St Albans which have been blighted by their supermarket scheme.
The supermarket giant has applied for planning permission to restore eight houses in London Road, St Albans, which abut the former Evershed's site which Tesco wants to redevelop as a supermarket.
It follows years of pressure from the district council to get something done about the houses which have been falling into disrepair since Tesco acquired the Evershed's site
The council's planning portfolio holder, Cllr Chris Brazier, said this week: "This is what we have been wanting and will tidy up that area now. We said we could use the Empty Dwellings Management Order to repossess them and would have rented them out had they not agreed to put in an application to convert them into townhouses.
You may also want to watch:
"It has taken us nearly three years to get to this stage but they have kept to their part of the bargain and it should tidy up that part of London Road which is one of the main entrances into St Albans."
The council has also sanctioned enforcement action to make owners Wattsdown Developments tidy up the front of old cinema on the opposite side of the road.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 6 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 7 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden