Asylum seeker deported after M1 chaos
A FAILED asylum seeker who caused chaos for motorists on the M1 earlier this month has been deported. The 46-year-old from Afghanistan shut the northbound carriageway between Junctions 6a and 7 for over five hours on Thursday, June 11, when he climbed ont
A FAILED asylum seeker who caused chaos for motorists on the M1 earlier this month has been deported.
The 46-year-old from Afghanistan shut the northbound carriageway between Junctions 6a and 7 for over five hours on Thursday, June 11, when he climbed onto a gantry.
All lanes on the southbound carriageway were also closed for a short while when the incident started to unfold at around 11.30am but one lane was later reopened.
The man, who had his application for asylum in Britain rejected, told police and ambulance officials that he would not come down from the gantry until someone from the UK Border Agency met him.
You may also want to watch:
He was eventually coaxed down at about 5.30pm and met with the agency the next day.
But they arranged for him to fly home on Tuesday evening (June 23).
- 1 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 2 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 3 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 4 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 5 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 6 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 7 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 8 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 9 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 10 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
Gail Adams, the agency's regional director for the Midlands and East, said: "We are committed to removing people with no right to be in the UK once any applications for leave or appeals to the independent courts have been concluded.