Asylum seeker deported after M1 chaos

PUBLISHED: 13:02 24 June 2009 | UPDATED: 14:11 06 May 2010

A FAILED asylum seeker who caused chaos for motorists on the M1 earlier this month has been deported. The 46-year-old from Afghanistan shut the northbound carriageway between Junctions 6a and 7 for over five hours on Thursday, June 11, when he climbed ont

A FAILED asylum seeker who caused chaos for motorists on the M1 earlier this month has been deported.

The 46-year-old from Afghanistan shut the northbound carriageway between Junctions 6a and 7 for over five hours on Thursday, June 11, when he climbed onto a gantry.

All lanes on the southbound carriageway were also closed for a short while when the incident started to unfold at around 11.30am but one lane was later reopened.

The man, who had his application for asylum in Britain rejected, told police and ambulance officials that he would not come down from the gantry until someone from the UK Border Agency met him.

He was eventually coaxed down at about 5.30pm and met with the agency the next day.

But they arranged for him to fly home on Tuesday evening (June 23).

Gail Adams, the agency's regional director for the Midlands and East, said: "We are committed to removing people with no right to be in the UK once any applications for leave or appeals to the independent courts have been concluded.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser