Popular St Albans bakery closes after three decades
- Credit: Archant
A popular St Albans bakery has closed its doors after three decades trading from a small parade of shops.
Artisan Bakery, which sold bread, cakes, and sandwiches in Marshalswick’s The Quadrant, announced the closure with a sign in the window.
It reads: “It is with great regret that after 30 years we have now closed.
“We would like to thank all our customers for there [sic] loyal support over all these years.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Wish you all the best in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
The bakery used to be called Ushers before it switched brands.
On TripAdvisor one reviewer said: “We mostly visit for the excellent bread-sour dough [which] is available and delicious.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
“The honey and spelt loaf is particularly yummy but they tend to sell out so get there early.”
Another patron added: “George, his lovely family and colleagues make some of the best coffee and pastries around.
“Always friendly, lovely bread, cakes and savoury pastries. I’ve been going here several times a week for many years. Long may it thrive.”
This news comes after the closure of another long-standing tenant, Po Che. This Chinese takeaway had been serving customers at The Quadrant for 31 years.
The parade is a lively hub of restaurants and takeaways, including The Ridgeway Fish Bar, KFC, Indian restaurant Spice Hut, cafe Molen’s, and relative newcomer The Kebab Shop.