Popular St Albans bakery closes after three decades
- Credit: Archant
A popular St Albans bakery has closed its doors after three decades trading from a small parade of shops.
Artisan Bakery, which sold bread, cakes, and sandwiches in Marshalswick’s The Quadrant, announced the closure with a sign in the window.
It reads: “It is with great regret that after 30 years we have now closed.
“We would like to thank all our customers for there [sic] loyal support over all these years.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Wish you all the best in the future.”
The bakery used to be called Ushers before it switched brands.
On TripAdvisor one reviewer said: “We mostly visit for the excellent bread-sour dough [which] is available and delicious.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
“The honey and spelt loaf is particularly yummy but they tend to sell out so get there early.”
Another patron added: “George, his lovely family and colleagues make some of the best coffee and pastries around.
“Always friendly, lovely bread, cakes and savoury pastries. I’ve been going here several times a week for many years. Long may it thrive.”
This news comes after the closure of another long-standing tenant, Po Che. This Chinese takeaway had been serving customers at The Quadrant for 31 years.
The parade is a lively hub of restaurants and takeaways, including The Ridgeway Fish Bar, KFC, Indian restaurant Spice Hut, cafe Molen’s, and relative newcomer The Kebab Shop.