Arsenal stars sport retro kit for Citroen DS 60th anniversary celebrations
- Credit: Photo supplied
Football practice at Arsenal’s training grounds in London Colney was halted momentarily recently when players helped mark 60th anniversary celebrations for the original Citroen DS.
Arsenal stars Laurent Koscielny, Mathieu Flamini - both French internationals – along with David Ospina and Theo Walcott took part in the photo shoot, by donning replica 1955 football kit.
A spokesman said that the Gunners had “embraced their club’s heritage” by sporting the iconic red and white kit which their predecessors would have worn six decades ago.
Last year, Citroen and Arsenal signed a new three-year partnership agreement, whereby the French company continued its role as the club’s official automotive partner.
As part of the agreement the manufacturer provides a number of vehicles for Arsenal coaches and staff – including those working at London Colney.
The original DS was produced between 1955 and 1975, with a total production run of nearly 1.5 million cars.
Launched at the Paris Motor Show, it was styled and engineered by an Italian sculptor and a French aeronautical engineer.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 4 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 10 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
Seven hundred vintage DS vehicles will be brought together at the historic Montlhéry track in France from May 22-23 as part of the anniversary celebrations.
• Arsenal is keen to hear from local runners wanting to join its annual charity fun run “Be a Gunner. Be a Runner” on Saturday April 11.
About 1,000 runners are expected to take part in the race around Emirates Stadium to raise money for the Arsenal Foundation.
There will be a 10-lap adult race (6.4km) and one and two-lap races for younger participants. For more details and to enter see www.arsenal.com/bagbar