Arrests in Hertfordshire after national unrest
POLICE have arrested 45 people in Hertfordshire in connection with the recent looting and rioting across the country.
An increased police presence in St Albans saw five arrests made locally on Tuesday night although they were not directly linked to the national disorder.
Four people, two 17 year olds, a 15 year old and an 18 year old were arrested after a man was attacked outside the Slug and Lettuce pub in the city. The victim had been in the beer garden when something was thrown over the wall and hit him.
He went outside to investigate and was attacked by the group and suffered head injuries. Police arrived shortly after and found the attackers within the area. The four, all from St Albans, have been released on bail.
A fifth man was arrested on the same evening after being caught in the act of carrying a stolen bike from Abbey Mill House in St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
Of the 45 people arrested in the county, 14 have been charged and two men have already been prosecuted. Police are continuing to work to identify and arrest others from the Hertfordshire area involved in the unrest.
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Williams said: “Our message to the criminals is this – just because you haven’t been arrested yet, don’t think you have evaded the law. Over the coming days, weeks and months we will be working to ensure you are caught and brought to justice, so I would encourage you to hand yourself in.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the police via the non-emergency number 101.