Armed Forces day in Harpenden and St Albans
HARPENDEN: A celebration of Armed Forces Day on Harpenden Common this Sunday promises to be a lively affair for the whole family.
The free event will take place from midday to 4pm on the common outside the British Legion and veterans and cadet groups will get things underway by parading through the town.
The cadets will then take part in a series of challenging team events to find out who will take home the Best Harpenden Cadet Group trophy. Among the events scheduled to take place are a drill routine, a timed relay over an inflatable obstacle course, a climbing wall challenge and a tug of war.
Town Mayor, Cllr Nicola Linacre, said: “This is a fantastic event for everyone in the family. It is also our opportunity to show how much we all appreciate everyone connected with the armed forces who contribute so much to the defence of our realm.”
n St Albans Mayor, Cllr Eileen Harris, will be supporting Armed Forces Day by attending a civic ceremony at St Mary’s Church, Marshalswick, on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
St Mary’s will mark the day with prayers at 10.30am followed by a civic service at 2.30pm at the memorial in the shape of a Celtic Cross in front of the church in Sherwood Avenue.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 9 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 10 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?