Architects praise new St Pancras Station
THE newly-restored and extended St Pancras Station – a familiar site to local commuters -- has been awarded for its outstanding architecture having already received huge amounts of praise since its unveiling. The Building in a Historic Context accolade
THE newly-restored and extended St Pancras Station - a familiar site to local commuters -- has been awarded for its outstanding architecture having already received huge amounts of praise since its unveiling.
The 'Building in a Historic Context' accolade from the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) London and English Heritage, has been given to the r-born London station which serves travellers on the Thameslink line from St Albans, Radlett and Harpenden, and is the new home to Eurostar.
The award is given to the highest-quality modern architecture for the way it forms part of and contributes to the continuity and history of its environment.
For many years, Grade 1 listed St Pancras, originally designed by Gilbert Scott, was regarded as the poor relation to London's superior transport hubs.
You may also want to watch:
But it has now been recognised for being a station of the highest quality while retaining the grandeur of the magnificent original design, and it is hoped that it will regenerate an area which has been in decline for many years.
Philip Davies, English Heritage's planning and development director for the south, said: "Without a doubt, the renaissance of St Pancras is an outstanding achievement for which all those involved should feel incredibly proud. For too long, Scott's defining work was dismissed as posing only problems rather than possibilities - it is through the imaginative vision of London and Continental Railways that the potential for reincarnation has been realised.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans