Appeal to trace man after indecent exposure on train between St Albans and West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
British Transport Police are looking for a man who indecently exposed himself on trains in London and the south east, most recently between St Albans and West Hampstead Thameslink.
The most recent incident took place on a Thameslink train between St Albans City station and London on Sunday, April 2. A 61-year-old woman was on board the train when a man exposed and touched himself inappropriately.
The investigation, by the British Transport Police’s Sexual Offences Unit, began in August 2016 when a 31-year-old woman reported that a man exposed and touched himself on a Thameslink train between East Croydon and Farringdon.
Several months later, in December, a further two similar incidents were reported to police, both on Thameslink trains between St Pancras and Brighton and East Croydon and Gatwick Airport.
Officers have now linked the multiple incidents.
Investigative officer DC Allan McTaggart said: “All of these incidents occurred on board Thameslink trains, therefore I believe the suspect may work somewhere on the line or live close to a Thameslink station.
“Therefore I’d ask passengers who regularly commute on this line to be particularly vigilant. If you know the man shown in the CCTV image or spot him on your travels please get in touch – he may have information which could be vital to the investigation.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
- 8 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 9 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
“In all of these cases, the suspect has changed his clothes after he has exposed himself to passengers. If you have noticed a man acting suspiciously in this way, again, we would like to hear from you.
“We will not tolerate unwanted sexual behaviour such as this and I would like to thank each of the victims for reporting these disgusting incidents to us.
“Every report of a sexual offence builds a picture and helps us to track offenders and bring them before the courts.”
Anyone with information is asked to send a text to 61016 or call 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 311 of 26/04/2017.
lternatively, pass information anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.