Apostrophe catastrophe at refurbished St Albans pub
- Credit: Archant
A grammatical faux pas painted on the side of a refurbished pub has been rectified following a stir on social media.
The Peacock on Hatfield Road, had ‘St Albans’ finest’ spelt as ‘St Alban’s finest’ painted on the side of the building last week as part of a refurbishment.
Photos of the grammatical error circulated online and the pub, which is set to officially re-open next Monday, February 22, following a change of hands, has now repainted the building to correct it.
Sean Dutton, the Peacock’s new manager, explained that the error had been made by the sign company who were not based in St Albans.
He said: “The signage people drafted everything and sent it as proofs but because we were so busy and the text was so tiny on the proof we didn’t see it and basically missed it.
You may also want to watch:
“What was so aggravating about the signage issue was the fact that we have put so much effort into getting the place the way it is now.
The place before we came needed a lot of effort in terms of its look, its stock, its training of staff, everything. It just needed so much work.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 8 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 9 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
“So when it came to the end when we’re about to open, we have that issue with the signage. That really hurt a bit, it’s really irritating, especially as it wasn’t really our fault. We do apologise.”