Apostrophe catastrophe at refurbished St Albans pub
- Credit: Archant
A grammatical faux pas painted on the side of a refurbished pub has been rectified following a stir on social media.
The Peacock on Hatfield Road, had ‘St Albans’ finest’ spelt as ‘St Alban’s finest’ painted on the side of the building last week as part of a refurbishment.
Photos of the grammatical error circulated online and the pub, which is set to officially re-open next Monday, February 22, following a change of hands, has now repainted the building to correct it.
Sean Dutton, the Peacock’s new manager, explained that the error had been made by the sign company who were not based in St Albans.
He said: “The signage people drafted everything and sent it as proofs but because we were so busy and the text was so tiny on the proof we didn’t see it and basically missed it.
You may also want to watch:
“What was so aggravating about the signage issue was the fact that we have put so much effort into getting the place the way it is now.
The place before we came needed a lot of effort in terms of its look, its stock, its training of staff, everything. It just needed so much work.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
“So when it came to the end when we’re about to open, we have that issue with the signage. That really hurt a bit, it’s really irritating, especially as it wasn’t really our fault. We do apologise.”