Anger at slow progress of pavement work
A FORTNIGHT S work resulted in paving slabs being removed from outside just a few houses, according to a furious resident. Mrs Patricia Maziane, of Central Drive, St Albans, said at times workers sat in their vans reading newspapers and playing games on t
A FORTNIGHT'S work resulted in paving slabs being removed from outside just a few houses, according to a furious resident.
Mrs Patricia Maziane, of Central Drive, St Albans, said at times workers sat in their vans reading newspapers and playing games on their mobile phones.
The firm involved has been contracted by Herts Highways to replace concrete slabs with Tarmac. Work started on January 29 and is scheduled to last six weeks.
Mrs Maziane said: "Before the work even started we got hand-delivered letters informing us of different starting dates. Two weeks after they started all they have achieved is to remove the paving slabs from outside numbers one through to 13. This is despite the fact that there have been at least two vehicles and four workmen on site every day."
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Herts Highways agreed that work in Central Drive had progressed slower than hoped but said delays have been caused by various factors, including lack of storage and accommodating people going to and from Oakwood School.
She said: "The working hours available each day have been restricted because we have tried to minimise disruption to people taking and collecting pupils.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead