Amateur Park Street runner wins Westminster Lodge award after dramatic weight loss
- Credit: Archant
The accolade of ‘most inspirational woman’ has been awarded to an amateur runner following her dramatic weight loss.
Bernadette Newby, 45, from Park Street, was chosen as the winner of Westminster Lodge’s award after losing four and a half stone.
The award comes as part of Sport England’s national campaign This Girl Can, which was launched earlier this year to celebrate active women across the nation.
The drive to lose weight came after the birth of her second daughter, “I was unfit, unhealthy and looked awful,” Bernadette said.
She added: “I was always the kid in PE that got picked for a team last or worse than that got forced on a team captain as a leftover!
You may also want to watch:
“I always believed I was bad at sport and never bothered to try, so for the last 43 years of my life I did nothing more than walk the dog.”
She began her weight loss journey in 2013 after she won some personal training sessions in a silent auction.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
Following her sessions she decided to get into running- dropping from a size 18 to a size ten.
She is now set to complete five half marathons this year, including St Albans, and has already conquered one in Hampton Court and Southampton.
Alongside her running, Bernadette has joined the back to netball classes at Westminster Lodge with her daughter where she plays weekly.
“Apart from being fitter and healthier myself, this change has had a real positive impact on my family,” she said.
Bernadette was nominated by her sister and beat a number of entries to the prize of a spa day for herself and her daughter.
She will now be entered into a national competition against 102 other women, where she could win £500.