Allotment vandals destroy gardeners' work
VANDALS destroyed the hard work of a number of gardeners when they attacked a local allotment last week. The damage was inflicted on 10 of the 18 plots along Watford Road in Chiswell Green, behind the Midway doctors surgery, at some point between 6pm las
VANDALS destroyed the hard work of a number of gardeners when they attacked a local allotment last week.
The damage was inflicted on 10 of the 18 plots along Watford Road in Chiswell Green, behind the Midway doctors' surgery, at some point between 6pm last Friday evening and 1pm the following day.
The 14 full-size and four half plots, which are part of Greenwood Park, were newly prepared and rented this year due to public demand.
The damage is estimated at £800 to £1,000 and included fences and an arbour being smashed and crops being trodden into the ground.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr John Bell, Chairman of St Stephen Parish Council which owns and manages the land, said: "I think it is disappointing we have had the problem and we are obviously quite upset that the allotment holders have had the damage done."
"We try to provide services to make things better for the community. The vast majority of people appreciate it but there are mindless ones who, because it is there, they have to smash it up."
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
He said that there might have been some young revellers there on Friday night who could also have camped out overnight but he did not know whether that was linked to the damage.
The nearby pavilion and toilet block in the park has also been vandalised on a number of occasions this year.
Police are appealing for witnesses and information about the latest incident and they should contact Sergeant Mark Andrews on 0845 3300222 or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.