Allotment vandals destroy gardeners' work
VANDALS destroyed the hard work of a number of gardeners when they attacked a local allotment last week. The damage was inflicted on 10 of the 18 plots along Watford Road in Chiswell Green, behind the Midway doctors surgery, at some point between 6pm las
VANDALS destroyed the hard work of a number of gardeners when they attacked a local allotment last week.
The damage was inflicted on 10 of the 18 plots along Watford Road in Chiswell Green, behind the Midway doctors' surgery, at some point between 6pm last Friday evening and 1pm the following day.
The 14 full-size and four half plots, which are part of Greenwood Park, were newly prepared and rented this year due to public demand.
The damage is estimated at £800 to £1,000 and included fences and an arbour being smashed and crops being trodden into the ground.
Cllr John Bell, Chairman of St Stephen Parish Council which owns and manages the land, said: "I think it is disappointing we have had the problem and we are obviously quite upset that the allotment holders have had the damage done."
"We try to provide services to make things better for the community. The vast majority of people appreciate it but there are mindless ones who, because it is there, they have to smash it up."
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 6 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
He said that there might have been some young revellers there on Friday night who could also have camped out overnight but he did not know whether that was linked to the damage.
The nearby pavilion and toilet block in the park has also been vandalised on a number of occasions this year.
Police are appealing for witnesses and information about the latest incident and they should contact Sergeant Mark Andrews on 0845 3300222 or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.