Allotment vandals destroy gardeners' work
VANDALS destroyed the hard work of a number of gardeners when they attacked a local allotment last week. The damage was inflicted on 10 of the 18 plots along Watford Road in Chiswell Green, behind the Midway doctors surgery, at some point between 6pm las
VANDALS destroyed the hard work of a number of gardeners when they attacked a local allotment last week.
The damage was inflicted on 10 of the 18 plots along Watford Road in Chiswell Green, behind the Midway doctors' surgery, at some point between 6pm last Friday evening and 1pm the following day.
The 14 full-size and four half plots, which are part of Greenwood Park, were newly prepared and rented this year due to public demand.
The damage is estimated at £800 to £1,000 and included fences and an arbour being smashed and crops being trodden into the ground.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr John Bell, Chairman of St Stephen Parish Council which owns and manages the land, said: "I think it is disappointing we have had the problem and we are obviously quite upset that the allotment holders have had the damage done."
"We try to provide services to make things better for the community. The vast majority of people appreciate it but there are mindless ones who, because it is there, they have to smash it up."
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
He said that there might have been some young revellers there on Friday night who could also have camped out overnight but he did not know whether that was linked to the damage.
The nearby pavilion and toilet block in the park has also been vandalised on a number of occasions this year.
Police are appealing for witnesses and information about the latest incident and they should contact Sergeant Mark Andrews on 0845 3300222 or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.