M1 blocked after car crash
- Credit: Archant
The entire M1 was closed in one direction after a car crash this morning.
The smash was between four cars and a lorry, and all emergency services are at scene.
Fire engines from Hemel Hempstead, St Albans and Harpenden helped to rescue one woman who was trapped in her car.
She was treated by the East of England Ambulance Service at the scene and then taken to Luton and Dunstable Hospital with back pain.
Ambulances dealt with five patients in total.
All four lanes were blocked at junction nine by Redbourn, and a stationary traffic jam built right up to junction 11 by Dunstable south and Luton.
Cars are now able to slowly exit at the junction and so congestion should start to clear.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 8 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
Drivers should expect queues of around two hours.
The event is not expected to clear until midday.
For more information, visit www.trafficengland.com