All Jessops stores including St Albans to close
- Credit: Archant
ALL Jessops stores, including in St Albans, are to close from today (Friday), it has been confirmed.
In a statement, PricewatersCoopers (PwC) has announced that the closure of all 187 stores will result in the loss of around 1,370 jobs.
St Albans residents have been quick to tweet about their sadness at the closure of Jessops in The Maltings.
Edward Williams, Rob Hunt and Matthew Hammond of PwC were appointed joint administrators of The Jessop Group Limited (Jessops or the Company) on January 9 2013.
Rob, joint administrator and partner PwC said: “We have reviewed the position of the business and held extensive discussions with suppliers around their support for ongoing trading.
You may also want to watch:
“It is apparent that we cannot continue to trade and as a result we have had to make the difficult decision to begin the closure of all 187 Jessops stores at the close of business today.
“Regrettably, this will result in around 1,370 job losses across the stores with further job losses likely, in due course, at the head office in Leicester.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
“The stock will be collected over the coming days and returned to a central warehouse. It will be returned to suppliers if they are entitled to it. As a consequence of the closure, Jessops is no longer able to accept returned product from customers.
“This is an extremely sad day for Jessops and its employees. We are very grateful for the support we have received since our appointment and we will continue to ensure that employees are paid as they assist us during the closure.”
Updates for consumers will be available through the Jessops and PwC websites shortly at www.pwc.co.uk/jessops