Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- Credit: Google Maps
Supermarket chain Aldi has released a list of locations across the country that it will look to prioritise for building new stores.
Despite Aldi already having a store in St Albans, on Graham Close, the city is named on the company's list of targeted areas for another.
Aldi will offer a "finders fee" to anyone who recommends a suitable site in these areas.
This will be either 1.5% of a freehold price, or 10% of the first year’s rent for leasehold sites.
The chain currently run over 960 stores in the United Kingdom, and is looking for freehold town-centre or edge-of-town sites that are approximately 1.5 acres.
Each site will need to accommodate a 20,000 sq foot store with around 100 parking spaces.
The company has also advised that the location would ideally be near a main road with good visibility and access.
- 1 Sunak visits Harpenden on #Ready4Rishi campaign trail
- 2 Masked men stealing wheels from St Albans car park
- 3 Fire aftermath: St Albans businesses face uncertain future
- 4 Residents flee St Albans flats after underground car park blaze
- 5 Area Guide: The Childwickbury Estate in Hertfordshire
- 6 Plans for Hollywood's Sunset Studios in Hertfordshire move a step closer
- 7 15 monkeypox cases confirmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 'Remember when all this was fields?' Massive development proposed for north-west Harpenden
- 9 Warning about rise in 'dippings' in St Albans city centre
- 10 Man from Wood Green jailed after spate of harassment in St Albans
Aldi UK's national property director, George Brown, said: "By opening more Aldi stores, we can provide affordable, high-quality food to even more people.
“But despite our growth in recent years, some people still don’t have access to a local store, which is why it is our mission to continue on with our ambitious growth plans and change that.
“Our finder’s fee is available to anyone who can find Aldi an appropriate property so we’d encourage people to share any suitable suggestions and get it touch.”
The supermarket's full list of prioritised areas can be seen below:
- Cambridge South
- Drylaw, Edinburgh
- Gerrards Cross/Chalfont St Peter
- Ladysmill, Falkirk
- Leicester Fosse Park
- Lightwood, Stoke on Trent
- Newcastle Upon Tyne
- North Leeds
- South Normanton
- St Albans
- Tunbridge Wells
- West Didsbury