Alcatraz challenge in aid of St Albans’ Grove House hospice
LOCAL swimming coach, Jan Morse is planning to Escape from Alcatraz next month – and raise money for Iain Rennie Grove House Hospice Care at the same time.
Mother of two and swimming coach at Nuffield Health Club, Jan will be travelling to the west coast of America to take part in the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.
A heart-pounding action packed event, featuring a one-and-a-half mile swim through freezing waters from Alcatraz Island to shore followed by a gruelling 18-mile bike race and a demanding eight-mile run through the rugged trails of Golden Gate Recreation Area.
Set against the natural beauty of San Francisco, the thrilling triathlon is a virtual postcard of the City by the Bay.
Jan explained: “I completed the London Triathlon last year and have done several other triathlons in the past. I heard about Escape from Alcatraz and thought it sounded amazing – but now I’m not sure what I’ve let myself in for! I’m training hard, even swimming around Brighton Pier in icy water and strong currents – it was so cold my lips froze together!”
You may also want to watch:
Jan, who is 60 and has two grandchildren, will be combining the trip with a touring holiday of the area with her husband. She said: “It will be wonderful to have a bit of a break, We plan to come home at the beginning of July when I’ll start getting myself ready for this year’s London Triathlon on July 31.
“We are so fortunate in St Albans to have Grove House, I have lived in this area for most of my life and I am keen to support a local charity, I hope people will visit my justgiving page and help me raise as much money as possible for the hospice.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Green light given to new hospital project
- 7 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
To support Jan and raise money for Iain Rennie Grove House Hospice Care visit http://www.justgiving.com/Jan-Morse-tri-ingtoescape or give her a call on 07947 822218.