Alban Weekend announces another headline act
- Credit: Archant
AN unsigned MTV nominated artist has been announced as one of the headliners for the street party as part of the Alban Weekend, while the pilgrimage is set to feature on Songs of Praise for the first time.
The annual pilgrimage will kick off next Saturday, June 22, and is to feature new puppet “The Magistrate” this year as it tells the story of Britain’s first Christian martyr Alban.
It will be broadcast live on the popular BBC1 religious show on July 28 in a programme based on Saintly Places.
Next Sunday, June 23, party-goers will be treated to the unique sounds of Ms Desire, who has been billed as bringing the Alban Street Party to life.
An energetic Soca performer, Ms Desire was recently shortlisted in an MTV competition to find the best unsigned act of 2013.
She was also invited to America to collaborate with producers for Universal Records and signed a deal with British Airways for her music to be played as part of their in-flight entertainment.
Celebrations will start at midday through to 9pm with Samba music and dancers before Ms Desire and other local talent take over the stage.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 6 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
A wealth of entertainment will be spread across the street including stilt walkers, face painters, circus acts, and a fun fair.
The theme for this year’s event is ‘Medieval St Albans’ and will incorporate a mix of modern day and medieval in St Peter’s Street.
A Medieval Museum without Walls will be on offer where visitors can handle medieval artefacts from the 15th and 16th Centuries.
Tour Guides will be on hand carrying out medieval walks and court room re-enactments and there will be hog roasts and medieval music and dance. The Alban Weekend is supported by the Herts Advertiser as media partner and full coverage of the event will appear in the following week’s newspaper.
For more information visit http://www.enjoystalbans.com/whats-on/key/detail/33354/alban-street-party