Alban Weekend announces another headline act
- Credit: Archant
AN unsigned MTV nominated artist has been announced as one of the headliners for the street party as part of the Alban Weekend, while the pilgrimage is set to feature on Songs of Praise for the first time.
The annual pilgrimage will kick off next Saturday, June 22, and is to feature new puppet “The Magistrate” this year as it tells the story of Britain’s first Christian martyr Alban.
It will be broadcast live on the popular BBC1 religious show on July 28 in a programme based on Saintly Places.
Next Sunday, June 23, party-goers will be treated to the unique sounds of Ms Desire, who has been billed as bringing the Alban Street Party to life.
An energetic Soca performer, Ms Desire was recently shortlisted in an MTV competition to find the best unsigned act of 2013.
You may also want to watch:
She was also invited to America to collaborate with producers for Universal Records and signed a deal with British Airways for her music to be played as part of their in-flight entertainment.
Celebrations will start at midday through to 9pm with Samba music and dancers before Ms Desire and other local talent take over the stage.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
A wealth of entertainment will be spread across the street including stilt walkers, face painters, circus acts, and a fun fair.
The theme for this year’s event is ‘Medieval St Albans’ and will incorporate a mix of modern day and medieval in St Peter’s Street.
A Medieval Museum without Walls will be on offer where visitors can handle medieval artefacts from the 15th and 16th Centuries.
Tour Guides will be on hand carrying out medieval walks and court room re-enactments and there will be hog roasts and medieval music and dance. The Alban Weekend is supported by the Herts Advertiser as media partner and full coverage of the event will appear in the following week’s newspaper.
For more information visit http://www.enjoystalbans.com/whats-on/key/detail/33354/alban-street-party