Air ambulance called to St Albans traffic accident - UPDATED
AN AIR ambulance was called out to a road traffic accident on Harpenden Road, St Albans, which happened just before 5pm yesterday. It involved a yellow Suzuki motorbike and a grey Nissan Qashqai and a request was put in for an air ambulance because of th
A MOTORCYCLIST was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge with serious injuries after a road traffic accident in St Albans late yesterday afternoon.
The collision between the motorbike and a Nissan Qashqai happened at 4.40pm as the motorist was waiting to turn right into Green Lane and the motorbike was travelling northbound towards Harpenden.
The 38-year-old motorcyclist from St Albans suffered serious injuries and was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s. The driver of the Nissan, who comes from Harpenden, was uninjured.
Police closed Harpenden Road between its junction with Sandridgebury Lane and Batchwood Drive for around two and a half hours in total.
Ambulance service spokesperson Gary Sanderson said the air ambulance landed at the nearby St Albans Girls School playing field.
He explained that it was to assist paramedics already at the site of the accident and a nearby fast response doctor who was also called to the scene
- 1 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 2 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 6 Call for hosepipe ban to protect River Ver
- 7 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 8 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
- 9 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 10 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
Mr Sanderson added that the serious injuries the motorcyclist received required rapid stabilisation at the roadside before the airlift.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to the accident to contact 0800 33 00 222.