Air ambulance called to St Albans traffic accident - UPDATED
AN AIR ambulance was called out to a road traffic accident on Harpenden Road, St Albans, which happened just before 5pm yesterday. It involved a yellow Suzuki motorbike and a grey Nissan Qashqai and a request was put in for an air ambulance because of th
A MOTORCYCLIST was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge with serious injuries after a road traffic accident in St Albans late yesterday afternoon.
The collision between the motorbike and a Nissan Qashqai happened at 4.40pm as the motorist was waiting to turn right into Green Lane and the motorbike was travelling northbound towards Harpenden.
The 38-year-old motorcyclist from St Albans suffered serious injuries and was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s. The driver of the Nissan, who comes from Harpenden, was uninjured.
Police closed Harpenden Road between its junction with Sandridgebury Lane and Batchwood Drive for around two and a half hours in total.
You may also want to watch:
Ambulance service spokesperson Gary Sanderson said the air ambulance landed at the nearby St Albans Girls School playing field.
He explained that it was to assist paramedics already at the site of the accident and a nearby fast response doctor who was also called to the scene
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
Mr Sanderson added that the serious injuries the motorcyclist received required rapid stabilisation at the roadside before the airlift.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to the accident to contact 0800 33 00 222.