Air ambulance attends two unrelated incidents at St Albans buildings sites on same day
- Credit: Archant
Air ambulances were called to two different construction sites on the same day to deal with unrelated accidents.
On Monday Herts Air Ambulance was sent to Beaufort House, next to the Ziggurat building in Grosvenor Road, St Albans, at around 12.30pm after a 23-year-old man fell down a hole and was struck by a digger.
He was airlifted to Royal London Hospital in a serious condition with injuries to his abdomen and pelvis. He has since undergone surgery.
The accident victim was working for a sub-contractor of Bugler Developments Ltd which is building 58 affordable flats on the site for the Hightown Housing Association. A spokesperson for Hightown said: “The Health and Safety Executive has started an investigation into the incident. Our main concern is with his recovery.”
A Bugler Developments spokesperson also commented: “We are awaiting further news of his condition and our thoughts are with him and his family at this time.
You may also want to watch:
“We have had an exemplary safety record throughout our 34 years in business and we take this matter very seriously.
“Following their investigations the HSE has confirmed that works on site can continue”.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 4 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 5 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 9 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 10 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
A few hours later at 4.45pm, Magpas Air Ambulance was called to a separate incident at another construction site in St James Court, Park View Close, St Albans.
A man in his 20s was reported to have fallen from a significant height, suffering injuries to his back and pelvis.
Although the air ambulance was called, he was taken to Watford General Hospital by land ambulance in a serious but stable condition.
Venture Constructions are working on external refurbishments to five blocks of flats at the site. The company declined to comment on the incident.
The Health and Safety Executive is investigating both incidents.