Air ambulance attends two unrelated incidents at St Albans buildings sites on same day
- Credit: Archant
Air ambulances were called to two different construction sites on the same day to deal with unrelated accidents.
On Monday Herts Air Ambulance was sent to Beaufort House, next to the Ziggurat building in Grosvenor Road, St Albans, at around 12.30pm after a 23-year-old man fell down a hole and was struck by a digger.
He was airlifted to Royal London Hospital in a serious condition with injuries to his abdomen and pelvis. He has since undergone surgery.
The accident victim was working for a sub-contractor of Bugler Developments Ltd which is building 58 affordable flats on the site for the Hightown Housing Association. A spokesperson for Hightown said: “The Health and Safety Executive has started an investigation into the incident. Our main concern is with his recovery.”
A Bugler Developments spokesperson also commented: “We are awaiting further news of his condition and our thoughts are with him and his family at this time.
“We have had an exemplary safety record throughout our 34 years in business and we take this matter very seriously.
“Following their investigations the HSE has confirmed that works on site can continue”.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 8 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 9 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 10 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
A few hours later at 4.45pm, Magpas Air Ambulance was called to a separate incident at another construction site in St James Court, Park View Close, St Albans.
A man in his 20s was reported to have fallen from a significant height, suffering injuries to his back and pelvis.
Although the air ambulance was called, he was taken to Watford General Hospital by land ambulance in a serious but stable condition.
Venture Constructions are working on external refurbishments to five blocks of flats at the site. The company declined to comment on the incident.
The Health and Safety Executive is investigating both incidents.