A HOMELESS drug addict accidentally killed himself with a heroin overdose during the Christmas period, an inquest heard. Craig Brearley, aged 35, was found dead in a toilet cubicle in Centre 33, a charity-run drop in centre for the homeless in Spicer Stre
A HOMELESS drug addict accidentally killed himself with a heroin overdose during the Christmas period, an inquest heard.
Craig Brearley, aged 35, was found dead in a toilet cubicle in Centre 33, a charity-run drop in centre for the homeless in Spicer Street, St Albans, on the day after Boxing Day.
A blood test taken during his post-mortem revealed he had a lethal level of morphine in his blood.
The inquest was told that he had been staying at the centre since November last year and was there during the Christmas period. He was found by PC Michael Clifton who forced the cubicle door after centre staff could not get him to come out.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Clifton searched the dead man and found equipment used for taking heroin but none of the drug itself.
Mr Brearley is believed to have been born in Nottingham and latterly lived on the streets around St Albans and Watford. He had a history of heroin addiction.
- 1 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
He had previously tried to kill himself with drug overdoses and had been taken to hospital after being found collapsed in St Albans five days before his death.
Herts coroner Edward Thomas recorded a verdict of accidental death.