Accident on M1 causes traffic gridlock in St Albans
MOTORISTS are experiencing major delays on local roads following an accident on the M1 this morning (Tuesday).
A HGV carrying paper overturned at Junction 6a on the southbound carriageway just before 7am this morning and is blocking all three lanes.
Police said for reasons unknown the driver had lost control before hitting a kerb and jacknifing, and damage to the engine has caused diesel to spill out over the road which means repairs will need to take place before the closure is lifted.
The incident has resulted in the M25 interchange being closed and drivers are being advised to leave the motorway at Junction 7 and use the A405 to rejoin the M1 at Junction 6 or the M25 at Junction 21A.
There is gridlock around the St Stephen area as well as through Redbourn, Harpenden and St Albans as drivers leave the motorway.
You may also want to watch:
The driver sustained minor injuries in the incident.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital