Accident on M1 causes traffic gridlock in St Albans
MOTORISTS are experiencing major delays on local roads following an accident on the M1 this morning (Tuesday).
A HGV carrying paper overturned at Junction 6a on the southbound carriageway just before 7am this morning and is blocking all three lanes.
Police said for reasons unknown the driver had lost control before hitting a kerb and jacknifing, and damage to the engine has caused diesel to spill out over the road which means repairs will need to take place before the closure is lifted.
The incident has resulted in the M25 interchange being closed and drivers are being advised to leave the motorway at Junction 7 and use the A405 to rejoin the M1 at Junction 6 or the M25 at Junction 21A.
There is gridlock around the St Stephen area as well as through Redbourn, Harpenden and St Albans as drivers leave the motorway.
You may also want to watch:
The driver sustained minor injuries in the incident.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 6 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 7 Area Guide: The Childwickbury estate explored
- 8 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020