70 year old Harpenden man falls victim to phone scam

PUBLISHED: 14:50 29 April 2015 | UPDATED: 14:50 29 April 2015

Police appeal

Police appeal

Archant

A man in his 70s was conned out of his bank details following a phone scam on Monday (27).

Between 1pm-4pm the Harpenden man was contacted by a caller claiming to be from the Visa fraud department.

The caller stated that the man’s card had been fraudulently used in London, and told him they needed his PIN and bank cards to investigate. After providing his PIN, the victim was instructed to place his bank card into an envelope and hand it over to a courier who later arrived and collected it.

His wife arrived home and cancelled the cards before any money was stolen from the account.

Police are warning people to be aware of spam calls and remain vigilant.

St Albans Local Crime Detective Inspector Pete Frost said: “It was fortunate the bank card was cancelled and the victim didn’t lose any money, but this incident again highlights the need for everyone to share our advice and help raise awareness about fraud.”

He added that police, banks and credit card companies would never, in any circumstances, ask for a person’s PIN, and that information should be kept to the cardholder.

If you have had a suspicious phone call the non-emergency number 101.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser