Two people have been hospitalised following a crash in St Albans city centre.

At around 2.05pm this afternoon (Wednesday, October 18) a grey Kia Sportage and a black Renault Captur collided on St Peter's Street.

The road was closed and a 76-year-old man was taken to hospital with injuries that are not deemed to be life threatening.

A 32-year-old woman has also been hospitalised as a precaution.

St Peter's Street remains closed at this time while enquiries continue and debris is cleared.

A spokesperson for Hertfordshire Constabulary said: "Police were called at around 2.05pm today (Wednesday, October 18) to report a road traffic collision between a grey Kia Sportage and a grey and black Renault Captur on St Peters Street, St Albans.

"Officers are in attendance along with the ambulance service and fire and rescue service.


"Both vehicles are currently being recovered and debris is being cleared by Highways.

"St Peters Street remains closed at this time while enquiries continue."

Three fire engines, five vehicles from the East of England Ambulance Service and the Essex and East Herts Air Ambulance Service all attended the scene.

A spokesperson for Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service added: "Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service was called at 2:05pm this afternoon to reports of a road traffic collision outside St Peter’s Church, St Peter’s Street, St Albans.

"Three fire engines, from St Albans, Hatfield and Garston fire stations were sent to the scene, where two cars had collided on the road.

"Nobody was trapped and firefighters assisted the ambulance service with medical care for two people.

"Crews left the scene at 3:05pm."

Lastly, a spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service commented: "We were called at 2.05pm to a road traffic collision involving two vehicles on St Peters Street in St Albans.

"Three ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, an ambulance officer vehicle and the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance were sent to the scene.

"A man in his 70s was transported to Watford General Hospital for treatment, while a woman in her 30s was conveyed as a precaution to the Princess Alexandra Hospital.”