2016 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular should be the best yet, says cathedral
- Credit: Archant
Twenty five minutes of fireworks will light up the skies over St Albans on Saturday, November 5, and raise funds for charity at the same time.
The St Albans Fireworks Spectacular 2016, organised by the cathedral, takes place in Verulamium Park and offers not just plenty of whizz bangs but also food and music for all.
Proceeds from the night, which gets underway at 7.30pm, will provide support for Special Olympics St Albans.
The display started over 25 years ago in order to reduce firework accidents at home. To date it has raised over £730,000 for local and national charities and serves to promote the city of St Albans locally and to spectators who come from outside the area.
The Rev Richard Watson, Sub Dean at St Albans Cathedral, said, “The annual fireworks display is without doubt the biggest event the cathedral puts on for the city, and last year we welcomed a record-breaking number of people. I’m sure this year’s event will be even more colourful and enjoyable, and a great way to raise money for an important local charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Special Olympics St Albans (SOSA) is a charity organisation that provides year round sporting and competition opportunities for those aged eight years and over with a learning disability.
In 2017, 64 athletes from the St Albans branch will be taking part in the Special Olympics Summer National Games at Sheffield.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
Susi Williams, SOSA coordinator, commented, “The SOSA athletes are extremely grateful that they were chosen by the St Albans fireworks committee for this year’s spectacular St Albans fireworks display. The money raised will be going towards the athletes’ National Games experience. A massive thank you.”
Hundreds of volunteers and local groups provide invaluable help during the preparations for the firework spectacular and on the night itself. They include 3rd St Albans Scout Group, 1st Park St Scout Group, St Albans Network Scouts , St Albans District Explorer Scouts, 3 Valleys Club, St Albans Lions Club, Rotary Club of St Albans Priory, St Albans Verulam Rotary Club, Abbey Youth and the cathedral congregation.
The display is by Fantastic Fireworks, double winners of the British Fireworks Championships.
Tickets for the display are available from the Cathedral Box Office and the Alban Arena, and are cheaper if booked in advance. For full details and to book tickets click here or call 01727 890290