128 children in St Albans district fail to get primary school of their choice
ALMOST 130 children in the St Albans district have been allocated a primary school which was not their parents choice. Figures show that 581 children across Herts were left without one of their three ranked primary schools in this year s round of applica
ALMOST 130 children in the St Albans district have been allocated a primary school which was not their parents' choice.
Figures show that 581 children across Herts were left without one of their three ranked primary schools in this year's round of applications - and 128 of those are in the St Albans district.
The figures include 80 children in central St Albans, 15 in Harpenden, nine in St Stephens, eight in Colney Heath, seven in London Colney and five in Wheathampstead.
County and district councillor, Aislinn Lee, who is the LibDem education spokesperson, said: "This is appalling - nearly 600 families in Herts are wondering where their pre-school child is going to start their school life, often in a school they have not chosen that is too far from home. Starting school aged four is one of the most stressful experiences that parents face in raising children."
She added: "The county council is reviewing this currently, but this year's figures show that this must be done urgently and in areas like St Albans and Watford new schools must be delivered."
A spokesperson for education at Herts County Council said that the number of children without a place in St Albans and the villages was down on last year due to planning to increase capacity at schools.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
She said that all but seven children in St Albans had been given a school within two miles of their homes. Figures might reduce with the up-and-coming rounds of continuing interest.