SIR, — Last Wednesday afternoon I was invited to the Harpenden Courage Club to speak to them. I chose the subject of Harpenden Common and was very pleased with the assistance the Town Council gave to me with copies of the current documentation displayed o
SIR, - Last Wednesday afternoon I was invited to the Harpenden Courage Club to speak to them. I chose the subject of Harpenden Common and was very pleased with the assistance the Town Council gave to me with copies of the current documentation displayed on the new boards posted at various points on the Common.
The afternoon was enjoyed as I spoke over a tea of sandwiches and cakes provided by loyal supporters. Two of the members are in wheelchairs and the conversation included the improved access to many of the premises in Harpenden - with the exception of the trains.
The tell me that they are unable to get onto a train at Harpenden Station. In fact the only platform which is accessible to them is platform four, which in the past used to be number one. There are no ramps to assist their entry to a train compartment. Surely our railway system with all the millions of pounds which is gathers from the commuters of Harpenden, St Albans and Luton, can provide access for the disabled to any of its platforms at Harpenden Station.
Why have the station operators not complied with the law which so many private companies and firms have been able to achieve? How are those who are disabled who wish to go to London or go on holiday expected to get to their destination? Many are unable to afford their own transport.
You may also want to watch:
Redbourn Lane, Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests