SIR — I am a resident in Alma Road, St Albans, and a tenant of Tesco. I am increasingly concerned about the way Tesco are conducting their proposals to build a new supermaket on London Road/Alma Road. No planning application has yet been lodged and so all
SIR - I am a resident in Alma Road, St Albans, and a tenant of Tesco. I am increasingly concerned about the way Tesco are conducting their proposals to build a new supermaket on London Road/Alma Road. No planning application has yet been lodged and so all those people who have written to the district council objecting to the plans have not, in fact, objected at all. Their letters cannot be considered until a planning application has been lodged by Tesco.
Tesco's recent press release announced that planning permission had been applied for and this undoubtedly sparked off a raft of objecting letters, none of which can be considered because planning application had not been properly lodged. Was the "invalid" planning application intentional on Tesco's part? I think it was. As a resident in the middle of the blighted area of the city I would love to see this area regenerated. But it is Tesco who have allowed it to degenerate in the first place, aided by the district council.
I object to Tesco's plans on two grounds. Firstly that traffic in this part of the city already gridlocks for a few hours morning and evening and any extra traffic generated by Tesco will do nothing but make this situation far worse. Secondly, if the proposed supermarket is built, I will be unable to see the sky from my flat in Alma Road and neither will anyone in basement flats nearby. Hello Tesco - bye-bye sky?
You may also want to watch:
Alma Road, St Albans.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant