Win a day trip on board a historic steam locomotive when it calls in at St Albans
WATCH out for historic steam locomotive No. 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley as it stops at St Albans on Saturday, December 22. This magnificent locomotive will be hauling The Christmas Yorkshireman, a special train en route to York for the day.
Herts Advertiser readers have a chance to join The Christmas Yorkshireman by entering our steam competition below to win a memorable family trip for four on board.
Heritage rail tour operator The Railway Touring Company has organised the day steam excursion as part of its autumn steam schedule, which will also see 1937-built 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley, classmate of the famous record breaking Mallard, haul The Lindum Fayre service from Potters Bar and Stevenage to Lincoln on Saturday, December 8.
The vintage carriages of The Christmas Yorkshireman, with mighty 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley in charge, will turn heads as it departs from St Albans on December 22 and heads north, stopping at Luton en route for the ancient city of York.
The journey will take in the Harringworth Viaduct, the longest masonary viaduct in Britain, along the way.
Over three hours in York will allow passengers to enjoy the festive atmosphere, explore The Shambles and shops and caf�s along the medieval alleys, visit the Minister or the National Railway Museum.
Father Christmas and his elves will visit the train with presents for the children as The Christmas Yorkshireman makes its way homewards, hauled by diesel on the return.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
For your chance to win a memorable first class family* day out on board The Christmas Yorkshireman from St Albans or Luton on Saturday, December 22, worth �310, including morning coffee and Danish pastry and afternoon tea with a selection of fingers sandwiches, scones, jam and cream, please answer the following question:
In which year was 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley built?
To enter text HA GRESLEY, followed by your answer (A, B, C or D), name, full address and contact phone number to 80058, e.g. HA GRESLEY B. John Smith, 11 Letsby Avenue, AL1 1TO.
Texts cost �1 plus your standard network rate. The competition closes at 12 noon on Friday, October 12. The winner will be drawn at random after this time.
No cash alternative, prize is not transferable.
The editor’s decision is final. Usual promotion rules apply. Visit www.hertsad24.co.uk for details or call customer services on 0207 633 5020.
The Railway Touring Company’s conditions of booking and travel apply. *A family ticket is for two adults and two juniors aged 15 and under.
n If you’re not lucky enough to win this fantastic competition, then standard, first and premier dining travel options are available on these steam trains with fares starting at �79 per person (family �206) on the December 22 trip to York and from �80 (family �200) on the Lincoln route.
For steam trip details contact:
The Railway Touring Company
Tel: 01553 661500