What a waste
SIR, — St Albans District Council is now asking us to put our cardboard waste in the same wheelie bin as our compostable garden waste. Till now, or at least for the past couple of years, we have placed our cardboard in a dedicated bag for separate fortnig
SIR, - St Albans District Council is now asking us to put our cardboard waste in the same wheelie bin as our compostable garden waste. Till now, or at least for the past couple of years, we have placed our cardboard in a dedicated bag for separate fortnightly collection. During that time I have assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it was then dispatched for recycling into new, albeit low-grade, paper and board products.
I imagined such recycling helped to conserve trees in Scandinavia and elsewhere, which would otherwise have been cut down for paper and board production. Such a strategy made particular sense in the context of today's global warming concerns and the need to maximise the area of CO2-absorbing forests.
It appears that our waste cardboard will now be mashed up with our grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and now also kitchen waste for turning into compost. I don't regard that as recycling in the spirit of "new products for old".
Perhaps someone from the district council could correct any of my above assumptions and spell out the reasons for this apparently retrograde move.
You may also want to watch:
At the same time could he or she answer the following questions: what is the destination of the cardboard-laced compostable waste?
And will it be turned into a useful horticultural product available at garden centres, or will it be dumped at a landfill site where environmental benefits will be non-existent?
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
Ridgewood Drive, Harpenden.