SIR, — We often hear about poor public and professional behaviour. I would like readers to know of my opposite recent experience. Walking along the pavement I became giddy and collapsed. The next thing I knew was that a car had stopped beside me. The driv
SIR, - We often hear about poor public and professional behaviour. I would like readers to know of my opposite recent experience.
Walking along the pavement I became giddy and collapsed. The next thing I knew was that a car had stopped beside me. The driver, a young man by my standards, and a young lady walking to work were helping me to sit up. He insisted on calling for an ambulance, which came very quickly and just after a neighbour had spotted me and set off to tell my daughter. My son-in-law appeared at almost the same moment and was able to phone my daughter.
I was helped into the ambulance and carefully checked in a very friendly and reassuring way. It was decided to take me to Watford General Hospital. I was there quickly put into a bed and moved into a ward for further checks, again all cheerfully done with explanations. It was decided that I needed a pacemaker which was implanted the next morning, yet again by friendly people at each stage explaining what was happening. My daughter was able to drive me home that evening.
I am very grateful to those who helped me, the kind members of the public and the professionals, ambulance and hospital.
You may also want to watch:
St Michaels Street,
- 1 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 2 Battle of St Albans appears on new Wars of the Roses stamp
- 3 University student digs World War One trench in St Albans garden for film project close to his heart
- 4 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 5 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 6 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 7 Harpenden and Radlett rail passengers able to use barcode readers at stations
- 8 Swimming's coming home for Harpenden as club return to refurbished base
- 9 When will the election results be counted in Herts?