SIR, — We often hear about poor public and professional behaviour. I would like readers to know of my opposite recent experience. Walking along the pavement I became giddy and collapsed. The next thing I knew was that a car had stopped beside me. The driv
SIR, - We often hear about poor public and professional behaviour. I would like readers to know of my opposite recent experience.
Walking along the pavement I became giddy and collapsed. The next thing I knew was that a car had stopped beside me. The driver, a young man by my standards, and a young lady walking to work were helping me to sit up. He insisted on calling for an ambulance, which came very quickly and just after a neighbour had spotted me and set off to tell my daughter. My son-in-law appeared at almost the same moment and was able to phone my daughter.
I was helped into the ambulance and carefully checked in a very friendly and reassuring way. It was decided to take me to Watford General Hospital. I was there quickly put into a bed and moved into a ward for further checks, again all cheerfully done with explanations. It was decided that I needed a pacemaker which was implanted the next morning, yet again by friendly people at each stage explaining what was happening. My daughter was able to drive me home that evening.
I am very grateful to those who helped me, the kind members of the public and the professionals, ambulance and hospital.
You may also want to watch:
St Michaels Street,
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved