SIR, — We often hear about poor public and professional behaviour. I would like readers to know of my opposite recent experience. Walking along the pavement I became giddy and collapsed. The next thing I knew was that a car had stopped beside me. The driv
SIR, - We often hear about poor public and professional behaviour. I would like readers to know of my opposite recent experience.
Walking along the pavement I became giddy and collapsed. The next thing I knew was that a car had stopped beside me. The driver, a young man by my standards, and a young lady walking to work were helping me to sit up. He insisted on calling for an ambulance, which came very quickly and just after a neighbour had spotted me and set off to tell my daughter. My son-in-law appeared at almost the same moment and was able to phone my daughter.
I was helped into the ambulance and carefully checked in a very friendly and reassuring way. It was decided to take me to Watford General Hospital. I was there quickly put into a bed and moved into a ward for further checks, again all cheerfully done with explanations. It was decided that I needed a pacemaker which was implanted the next morning, yet again by friendly people at each stage explaining what was happening. My daughter was able to drive me home that evening.
I am very grateful to those who helped me, the kind members of the public and the professionals, ambulance and hospital.
You may also want to watch:
St Michaels Street,
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 5 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 6 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 7 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 8 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone