SIR — I have followed with interest the on-going saga of complaints regarding the St Albans library based in the Maltings. I for one would like to compliment the staff for their helpful and courteous attitude. Like Mr Norman Hart I have been using the lib
SIR - I have followed with interest the on-going saga of complaints regarding the St Albans library based in the Maltings.
I for one would like to compliment the staff for their helpful and courteous attitude.
Like Mr Norman Hart I have been using the library service for many years. I can remember the tiny space allocated to children in the previous library. Even as a small child I was aware of how crowded it was. Also how scary the main library was for a younger child and how as a teenager I sometimes felt vulnerable choosing books hidden away behind the tall shelves out of sight of the librarians. I also remember the ladies and gentlemen of no fixed abode sitting by the radiators to get warm or dry.
The old library was charming in retrospect, but not a place where young people felt at home or wished to linger in. Now it's a bright, welcoming, safe space, a place of community. Somewhere you can view local art and photography.
You may also want to watch:
Your children and grandchildren are encouraged to explore the written word in any of its forms and languages. Young people, older people, disabled and homeless alike are welcome. The computers are there for those who need them. After all not everyone has one at home.
For those of you who do use the library, please be considerate of others, eat elsewhere, put your phone on silent and keep your conversation private. This is just good manners.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
The staff at the library work hard so that we can enjoy the latest novel or get help with homework. The library staff are not police nor should they have to be. Although the last time I checked, homelessness was not a crime nor a health risk to others.
As to the lady who finds baby rhyme time so annoying, may I suggest she not go to the library on the Tuesday it's on - choose another day.
Libraries are a valuable asset and if we are to continue to use them they must continue to evolve. So once more thanks to the staff at the Maltings - guardians, not guards, of our library
SHEENA J.M. BAGNALL,
Batchwood Drive, St Albans.