SIR, — It was with great pleasure that I read in the Herts Advertiser of the proposal to increase the space available to the City Museum in Hatfield Road, St Albans. This would include the area at present covered by the Liberal Club and the Law School. I
SIR, - It was with great pleasure that I read in the Herts Advertiser of the proposal to increase the space available to the City Museum in Hatfield Road, St Albans. This would include the area at present covered by the Liberal Club and the Law School.
I have lived in this part of Herts since infancy and in the City since 1949. I was at school in St Albans, brought up my family here and introduced my grand-children to all the amenities including the museums that make this city and district so valuable.
Ever since I was allowed to sit beside my friend, who was working with Sir Mortimer Wheeler's team in the 1930s, cleaning each individual tessera with a tooth-brush, I have followed with interest the development of the excavation of our Roman heritage and have admired the skill with which the Verulamium Museum has made the discoveries accessible to local people and our visitors.
I have visited several social exhibitions in the city museum including the recent exhibition of mid-20th-century railway posters. However I have always missed the rich history of St Albans, including Alban, the first British Christian martyr, the building of the Clock Tower over against the Abbey, the Peasants Revolt or the Duchess of Marlborough - who built the alms houses which still stand opposite the City Museum - to name but a few.
You may also want to watch:
It was pointed out to me recently that in fact much post-Roman pre-19th-century history is displayed in the City Museum in the first-floor galleries and I didn't know! I have visited with my grandchildren on more than one occasion. We were never pointed to the galleries upstairs, saw notices nor were there any leaflets available giving us the information.
The prospect of having an increased area in which the wealth of our heritage can be displayed is truly exciting. I very much hope that it will be carried out for the benefit of us all
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 8 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 9 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
Gombards, St Albans.