Water, water, everywhere...
SIR, — I notice the happy note about St Albans earning Green Flag awards (Herts Advertiser, July 24) but I wonder if you are aware of a now long-running saga of the footpath which floods. The master plan for the Nunnery River Ver area allowed for a rough
SIR, - I notice the happy note about St Albans earning Green Flag awards (Herts Advertiser, July 24) but I wonder if you are aware of a now long-running saga of the footpath which floods.
The master plan for the Nunnery River Ver area allowed for a rough track alongside the Ver to be changed to a decent one which could be used by all members of society, not just the intrepid few dog walkers. To this end St Albans District Council's advisers, the Countryside Management Service (CMS), arranged for the work to be done but the designers omitted to consult an Ordnance Survey plan of the 1800s which showed a lake lying parallel with the river with raised land in between created by spoil dug from the river when it was being straightened prior to building of the Sopwell Mill.
Thus time and money obtained from the Lottery fund was spent creating a footpath which is only accessible during the dry periods of the year. In winter it is necessary to wear Wellington boots as will be seen in the attached photographs.
From the moment I learned of the faux pas I have been trying to get the council to change the route but to date all attempts are frustrated by the comment, "we must monitor the situation over a period of time".
You may also want to watch:
This of course is the classic way of putting off any decision. The CMS and council officials just hope the problem will go away but that of course is nonsense.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
Riverside Close, St Albans.