SIR – The City Vision proposals are supported by St Albans and Herts Architectural and Archaeological Society (Arc & Arc) but they are concerned that the emphasis is on civic and social use, focusing on the historic environment but not on culture. A combi
SIR - The City Vision proposals are supported by St Albans and Herts Architectural and Archaeological Society (Arc & Arc) but they are concerned that the emphasis is on civic and social use, focusing on the historic environment but not on culture.
A combination of the proposed City Vision options could show a new civic square with a department store, cafes, upgraded Alban Arena and a cinema and arts centre.
By moving the council offices to Hatfield Road (existing Law College), an iconic building attached to the cinema could house the relocated City Museum and Gallery.
The cinema could incorporate function rooms for meetings and smaller gatherings and, in conjunction with the museum, become a lecture theatre during the day.
You may also want to watch:
A cinema is ideal for cultural and historic films and slide presentations, educational use for school parties, corporate functions and even larger public meetings. With a visionary operator, the cinema would be an attractive and well-used cultural hub.
Foyers of the cinema and Alban Arena would be ideal for local arts displays. Perhaps the mosaic cemented into the Arena foyer floor could be exposed, with the building becoming a pivotal part of the cultural hub.
- 1 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 2 St Albans named among best UK places to raise a baby
- 3 GP to retire after 52 years in the NHS
- 4 Property Spotlight: A huge family home on a sought-after St Albans street
- 5 Why have police failed to prosecute over destruction of Smallford Pits wildlife site?
- 6 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 7 Hertfordshire estate agency chain acquires local rival
- 8 Housing boom sees St Albans homes earning more than their owners
- 9 Youth engagement event marks Stephen Lawrence Day in St Albans
- 10 Council elections: who are St Albans Labour candidates?
Arc & Arc want the heritage of the city to be at the heart of the vision. The celebration of famous local people and public art that they suggest would enhance that vision, offering real hope for the future vitality and viability of our city centre.
Glenbower Court, St Albans