Use of assets
SIR, — Like Audrey Tearle (Herts Advertiser, May 1), I cannot understand why St Albans District Council has erected a solitary basketball post on Bernards Heath. We in Fleetville have a solitary football goal erected on the local recreation ground. The ot
SIR, - Like Audrey Tearle (Herts Advertiser, May 1), I cannot understand why St Albans District Council has erected a solitary basketball post on Bernards Heath. We in Fleetville have a solitary football goal erected on the local recreation ground. The other evening a few youngsters were kicking about and their other goal was their upturned bicycles.
I cannot understand why the council do not adopt a scheme I ran on the Fleetville Recreation Ground several years ago. It was self-financing.
I ran a weekly five-team, five-a-side football league using portable small-sided goals with the lads forming and running their own teams. We ran off the 10 12-minute games between 18.30 and 21.00 hours.
Of course you will need adult supervision to keep an eye on events and to look after and store the equipment. We started off with three teams playing one evening a week and finished up about 10 years later with about 30 teams playing four evenings a week in four different two-year age groups.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme could be run on most of the council's open spaces around the city. It can also be adopted for basketball - if you had the other post.
Sir Alan would be aghast at all the under-used assets in the locality - all for the sake of a little organisation.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
Jennings Road, St Albans.