Use of assets
SIR, — Like Audrey Tearle (Herts Advertiser, May 1), I cannot understand why St Albans District Council has erected a solitary basketball post on Bernards Heath. We in Fleetville have a solitary football goal erected on the local recreation ground. The ot
SIR, - Like Audrey Tearle (Herts Advertiser, May 1), I cannot understand why St Albans District Council has erected a solitary basketball post on Bernards Heath. We in Fleetville have a solitary football goal erected on the local recreation ground. The other evening a few youngsters were kicking about and their other goal was their upturned bicycles.
I cannot understand why the council do not adopt a scheme I ran on the Fleetville Recreation Ground several years ago. It was self-financing.
I ran a weekly five-team, five-a-side football league using portable small-sided goals with the lads forming and running their own teams. We ran off the 10 12-minute games between 18.30 and 21.00 hours.
Of course you will need adult supervision to keep an eye on events and to look after and store the equipment. We started off with three teams playing one evening a week and finished up about 10 years later with about 30 teams playing four evenings a week in four different two-year age groups.
The scheme could be run on most of the council's open spaces around the city. It can also be adopted for basketball - if you had the other post.
Sir Alan would be aghast at all the under-used assets in the locality - all for the sake of a little organisation.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 4 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 7 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 10 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
Jennings Road, St Albans.