Use of assets
SIR, — Like Audrey Tearle (Herts Advertiser, May 1), I cannot understand why St Albans District Council has erected a solitary basketball post on Bernards Heath. We in Fleetville have a solitary football goal erected on the local recreation ground. The ot
SIR, - Like Audrey Tearle (Herts Advertiser, May 1), I cannot understand why St Albans District Council has erected a solitary basketball post on Bernards Heath. We in Fleetville have a solitary football goal erected on the local recreation ground. The other evening a few youngsters were kicking about and their other goal was their upturned bicycles.
I cannot understand why the council do not adopt a scheme I ran on the Fleetville Recreation Ground several years ago. It was self-financing.
I ran a weekly five-team, five-a-side football league using portable small-sided goals with the lads forming and running their own teams. We ran off the 10 12-minute games between 18.30 and 21.00 hours.
Of course you will need adult supervision to keep an eye on events and to look after and store the equipment. We started off with three teams playing one evening a week and finished up about 10 years later with about 30 teams playing four evenings a week in four different two-year age groups.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme could be run on most of the council's open spaces around the city. It can also be adopted for basketball - if you had the other post.
Sir Alan would be aghast at all the under-used assets in the locality - all for the sake of a little organisation.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
Jennings Road, St Albans.