SIR, — I read Barrie Mort s letter(Herts Advertiser, February 26) with interest and concur entirely. I know Barrie as I live nearby on the same estate and am not suprised to hear that St Albans District Council planning officers are being worked off their
SIR, - I read Barrie Mort's letter(Herts Advertiser, February 26) with interest and concur entirely. I know Barrie as I live nearby on the same estate and am not suprised to hear that St Albans District Council planning officers are being worked off their feet while senior experienced and qualified people in their 50s and 60s locally are under-employed. This is a waste of human resources and will ultimately lead to more mistakes, claims and legal actions across the board.
One of my professional institutions had the foresight to set up a county skills database recently to promote business specialisms, and the district and county councils should do likewise.
A volunteer database of local skills and a list of expenses paid for voluntary work could really kick-start the local economy and get experienced people back in the community making a valuable contribution, instead of being stuck on the sidelines.
I cannot believe that a local councillor criticised the district council for freezing council tax as a "gimmick". A 70 per cent rise in local unemployment is no gimmick. A* though for Mid-Beds which merged three councils to actually cut council tax and help the taxpayer (now there's a concept ). B for St Albans District Council for freezing taxes, but D for Herts County Council which still managed to raise taxes despite local businesses going bust.
You may also want to watch:
Otherwise its as per the "Project Managers Handbook' - praise and honours for the non-participants, search for the guilty and punishment of the innocent?
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
Parkland Drive, St Albans.