SIR, — Following the report on the delayed new trains for the Thameslink line, the reason (or at least one of them) for their delayed entry into service was due to one of the component suppliers going into liquidation late last year. This company was orig
SIR, - Following the report on the delayed new trains for the Thameslink line, the reason (or at least one of them) for their delayed entry into service was due to one of the component suppliers going into liquidation late last year. This company was originally responsible for the interior panelling.
Further facts surrounding these units are that they were ordered by the Govia group, Thameslink's previous operator which now operates as Southern Railway, South Eastern Trains and London Midland.
To cover for the late arrival of the Class 377s, ten older units of this type have been loaned from Southern Railway. From the new timetable on March 22, the loaned units will operate journeys on the slow services (Bedford/Luton to Blackfriars). Upon arrival at London Blackfriars these will then be sub-leased again to South Eastern to operate towards south-east London and north Kent destinations. The current Class 319 units will be deployed on the Bedford-Luton-Brighton or Sutton services as at present but mostly as eight-car formations.
First Capital Connect is expecting more new trains (builder as yet unknown) for delivery in 2012 to eventually replace the 319 class, meaning Thameslink 2000 will arrive 12 years late.
You may also want to watch:
Mr R. J. WHIPP,
Frogmore, Park Street.
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 4 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 5 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 6 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 7 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 8 Harpenden St George's and Old Albanian well represented in England's Six Nations squad
- 9 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
- 10 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly