SIR, — Following the report on the delayed new trains for the Thameslink line, the reason (or at least one of them) for their delayed entry into service was due to one of the component suppliers going into liquidation late last year. This company was orig
SIR, - Following the report on the delayed new trains for the Thameslink line, the reason (or at least one of them) for their delayed entry into service was due to one of the component suppliers going into liquidation late last year. This company was originally responsible for the interior panelling.
Further facts surrounding these units are that they were ordered by the Govia group, Thameslink's previous operator which now operates as Southern Railway, South Eastern Trains and London Midland.
To cover for the late arrival of the Class 377s, ten older units of this type have been loaned from Southern Railway. From the new timetable on March 22, the loaned units will operate journeys on the slow services (Bedford/Luton to Blackfriars). Upon arrival at London Blackfriars these will then be sub-leased again to South Eastern to operate towards south-east London and north Kent destinations. The current Class 319 units will be deployed on the Bedford-Luton-Brighton or Sutton services as at present but mostly as eight-car formations.
First Capital Connect is expecting more new trains (builder as yet unknown) for delivery in 2012 to eventually replace the 319 class, meaning Thameslink 2000 will arrive 12 years late.
You may also want to watch:
Mr R. J. WHIPP,
Frogmore, Park Street.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area