The extra mile
SIR – Sometimes people less able than ourselves have more determination and stamina to do things that we would not even try to attempt. Over the weekend of November 6-8, three young adults with physical and learning disabilities swam a mile and at no time
SIR - Sometimes people less able than ourselves have more determination and stamina to do things that we would not even try to attempt.
Over the weekend of November 6-8, three young adults with physical and learning disabilities swam a mile and at no time was there ever a doubt in their mind that they would not complete it (pictured above).
The group of friends are undertaking their Gateway Gold Award where they have to complete a number of elements. One of them is physical fitness and for the last year they have been swimming regularly at the Aspire Centre in Stanmore.
On the night of November 6, they started their marathon and completed 20 lengths in an hour.
You may also want to watch:
They had two sessions on Saturday and swam another 34 lengths and then finished Sunday afternoon with the last 10 lengths and they still had the energy to do a few more laps just for fun.
They have had a lot of support from friends and family and for the last length they were joined by a clown in full stripy swim suit and make up.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
The Aspire Centre have been very supportive and without them we would not have been able to organise this event.
The group raised �700 in sponsorship monies that will go towards the money they are raising for their Adventure Challenge next October when they will be going on Safari in South Africa.
Sometimes the courage of others make you realise what life is all about.
Wynchland Crescent, St Albans