SIR, — The approval by Herts County Council of the long-awaited St Albans Urban Plan and the formation of the St Albans Quality Transport Network Partnership give us an opportunity to address some of the major problems that affect the city, in particular
SIR, - The approval by Herts County Council of the long-awaited St Albans Urban Plan and the formation of the St Albans Quality Transport Network Partnership give us an opportunity to address some of the major problems that affect the city, in particular congestion, late running of buses and poor air quality especially at the Peahen Junction.
We wish to promote a move from the car to the bus, to the cycle and to simply walking into and about the city.
Part pedestrianisation of St Peter's Street will not only help us address these problems but will help provide a much pleasanter shopping and leisure environment in the city centre and make St Albans a more attractive place for residents, for those who work in the city, for visitors and for tourists.
St Albans has so much to offer. An attractive car-free city centre during the day will allow people to more fully enjoy the historic market and the shops, the Abbey, other historic buildings and the museums and relax in our many splendid restaurants, caf�s and inns.
You may also want to watch:
However, I appreciate that many people will still wish to visit the city by car so to help drivers find a car-parking space quickly without needing to search around the city, the district council has invested heavily in electronic signage on routes into the city that will direct the motorist to car parks with parking space. This is being put in place, at the moment, by the county council through their agent Herts Highways.
CLLR MIKE ELLIS,
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 7 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Environment and Sustainability Portfolio