SIR – From time to time there has been in your columns some mention and speculation concerning the site of a new Tesco supermarket in this area. However, I have not seen any reference to a long promised plan for an Tesco Express to take over the present
SIR - From time to time there has been in your columns some mention and speculation concerning the site of a new Tesco supermarket in this area.
However, I have not seen any reference to a long promised plan for an Tesco Express to take over the present One Stop convenience store in Wheathampstead's High Street.
I have lived in Wheathampstead for almost nine years .For the last five or is it six years we have been promised, yes promised, by local councillors that the present One Stop convenience store be taken over by Tesco for a Tesco Express small supermarket.
Each time various dates were given and then postponed due to some 'minor' obstacle to be overcome.
You may also want to watch:
Reasons for the 'delays' were varied and numerous. And thus it went on year after year; it was to happen in the New Year, then when it failed, it would be in the spring, then September, and so on and so on; and now guess what - it is going to be in this next New Year!
At one point, almost three years ago now, we were actually given dates on party political leaflets put through our letter boxes that One Stop would be closing for shop fitting in April of that year and the new Tesco Express to open in June!
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 4 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 5 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 6 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
Four years ago there was a picture published of councillors outside One Stop each holding the end of a large Tesco banner!
We know that these projects take time - but six years?
Driving through Wheathampstead one cannot help but be impressed at this picturesque little village, in its rural setting, but when it comes to shopping it has nothing to recommend it. One organic butcher and a good bakery is the sum total of our food shops, plus of course the convenience store.
Shopping after all is a very important and time consuming fact of daily living. To be able to shop locally would be a blessing for so many of us and bring life back into our High Street.
To be or not to be? Ah yes it seems even Muse has been upset and disappointed:
Tesco O Tesco, where for art thou Tesco? Ye have been promised us for many a year, but alas and alack ye are still not here.
Tesco O Tesco, methinks 'tis a fiasco, for it doth now seem that we did "perchance to dream".
With apologies to the Bard.
Offas Way, Wheathampstead