SIR – There have been several letters complaining of nuisance caused by teenagers in children s play areas. The only too frequent response to teenagers appears to be to try to get rid of them. In one case I think the problem has arisen because they have b
SIR - There have been several letters complaining of nuisance caused by teenagers in children's play areas. The only too frequent response to teenagers appears to be to try to get rid of them. In one case I think the problem has arisen because they have been prevented from congregating somewhere else.
How many facilities are there in the area suitable for teenagers? There are numerous play areas provided for young children, but much less for those over 13.
Sadly, the new swimming pool is about to be made less attractive to older children, even though there will be better splash areas for younger ones.
It is to be made shallower and there will be no high diving boards.
You may also want to watch:
Older children like to be challenged and like excitement and risk. Diving is a particularly good way of providing excitement in a controlled environment.
If we lose these we lose any opportunity for someone to try to engage with the disaffected by providing such an exciting activity.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant
I wonder how much the council spends on facilities for teenagers as opposed to those for young children, I also wonder how much it spends on clearing up after teenagers compared with young children?
There is an urgent need for better facilities for teenagers and what a pity we are about to lose one that already exists.
Marshalswick Lane, St Albans