SIR — I am a parent from the Cross Farm Estate in South Harpenden. My son is one of the seven children without a local school place. We all requested our nearest local school but received Francis Bacon in St Albans. The families affected have been reside
SIR - I am a parent from the Cross Farm Estate in South Harpenden. My son is one of the seven children without a local school place. We all requested our nearest local school but received Francis Bacon in St Albans.
The families affected have been residents of Harpenden for many years, attending local schools. My family have lived, worked and supported Harpenden for over 70 years and still do.
As everybody knows, the current allocation system has been abused and manipulated for years. The system allows people to effectively "fast track" themselves a school place by renting or buying as close to the schools as possible. The system gives their siblings priority and leaves long-term residents' children without a place.
It is appalling that longevity and commitment to ones community has no bearing in Harpenden. Must we all live in the centre of town to ensure a school place? The allocation system needs immediate revision to stop this inexcusable and undeserved treatment of its long-term residents. After all, we are the reason that Harpenden is such a good place to live.
You may also want to watch:
Ironically, if we had moved to Markyate or Redbourn, we would have got a Harpenden school! How can this system be fair?
Perhaps a new rule three, Minimum Residency, would challenge those people taking places unfairly and offer long-term residents the choices they deserve. Surely, those families who have paid their taxes and rates for generations have earned their child a place.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 5 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 6 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 7 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
Sandhurst Court, Harpenden.