SIR — I am a parent from the Cross Farm Estate in South Harpenden. My son is one of the seven children without a local school place. We all requested our nearest local school but received Francis Bacon in St Albans. The families affected have been reside
SIR - I am a parent from the Cross Farm Estate in South Harpenden. My son is one of the seven children without a local school place. We all requested our nearest local school but received Francis Bacon in St Albans.
The families affected have been residents of Harpenden for many years, attending local schools. My family have lived, worked and supported Harpenden for over 70 years and still do.
As everybody knows, the current allocation system has been abused and manipulated for years. The system allows people to effectively "fast track" themselves a school place by renting or buying as close to the schools as possible. The system gives their siblings priority and leaves long-term residents' children without a place.
It is appalling that longevity and commitment to ones community has no bearing in Harpenden. Must we all live in the centre of town to ensure a school place? The allocation system needs immediate revision to stop this inexcusable and undeserved treatment of its long-term residents. After all, we are the reason that Harpenden is such a good place to live.
You may also want to watch:
Ironically, if we had moved to Markyate or Redbourn, we would have got a Harpenden school! How can this system be fair?
Perhaps a new rule three, Minimum Residency, would challenge those people taking places unfairly and offer long-term residents the choices they deserve. Surely, those families who have paid their taxes and rates for generations have earned their child a place.
- 1 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 2 Battle of St Albans appears on new Wars of the Roses stamp
- 3 University student digs World War One trench in St Albans garden for film project close to his heart
- 4 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 5 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 6 Swimming's coming home for Harpenden as club return to refurbished base
- 7 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 8 When will the election results be counted in Herts?
- 9 Harpenden and Radlett rail passengers able to use barcode readers at stations
Sandhurst Court, Harpenden.