SIR – Barely a week goes by when papers like yours don t tell us about families struggling to find suitable council accommodation at a time when lists are long and councils are dealing with cutbacks in spending. Why then, does St Albans Council not take a
SIR - Barely a week goes by when papers like yours don't tell us about families struggling to find suitable council accommodation at a time when lists are long and councils are dealing with cutbacks in spending.
Why then, does St Albans Council not take action against sub-letting?
Over the past five years I (and others) have reported a case of a woman who rents a council property and who has lived very comfortably in a private house with her partner and children but no action has been taken.
In fact, even though the authorities were aware four years ago that she had been sub-letting they have re-housed her elsewhere in the district and her children have entered a school close to her private house which is in its catchment area.
You may also want to watch:
How difficult is it to prevent such clear abuse and why should it take over five years for the council to act when, in cases like this, there can also be abuse of other benefits too?
I think it is a sign of a healthy society that we support those in need, but if this is one example of how St Albans Council manage our finances, it is no surprise that we face housing shortages and cutbacks in services.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
Perhaps our council representatives might like to respond?
NAME & ADDRESS