SIR, — Re C. Stewart s defence of cycling on pavements (Herts Advertiser, May 29). As a pedestrian and a cyclist I would urge C. Stewart to stop cycling on pavements. As a pedestrian I have been hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement. As a mother I have
SIR, - Re C. Stewart's defence of cycling on pavements (Herts Advertiser, May 29). As a pedestrian and a cyclist I would urge C. Stewart to stop cycling on pavements.
As a pedestrian I have been hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement. As a mother I have watched in horror as my toddler came within a heartbeat of being mown down by a pavement cyclist whizzing down the hill just as she tottered out of our driveway. As a passer-by I have seen a pavement cyclist slam at speed into a car pulling out of its driveway.
Do cyclists realise that pedestrians tend to be unaware of their presence until they overtake, often at high speed and with only inches clearance? What do they think will happen if the pedestrian stops, steps sideways or attempts to cross the road while they are overtaking?
To address the issue of road safety, I agree that this is a very real concern. However, motorcyclists face the same dangers as cyclists. Should they be allowed on the pavements if they cut their speed to 15 or 20mph? It's the same logic.
Cycling on the pavement is dangerous, selfish and against the law. If you are too nervous to ride on the road, please get off your bike and walk.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
Flora Grove, St Albans.