SIR, — Re C. Stewart s defence of cycling on pavements (Herts Advertiser, May 29). As a pedestrian and a cyclist I would urge C. Stewart to stop cycling on pavements. As a pedestrian I have been hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement. As a mother I have
SIR, - Re C. Stewart's defence of cycling on pavements (Herts Advertiser, May 29). As a pedestrian and a cyclist I would urge C. Stewart to stop cycling on pavements.
As a pedestrian I have been hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement. As a mother I have watched in horror as my toddler came within a heartbeat of being mown down by a pavement cyclist whizzing down the hill just as she tottered out of our driveway. As a passer-by I have seen a pavement cyclist slam at speed into a car pulling out of its driveway.
Do cyclists realise that pedestrians tend to be unaware of their presence until they overtake, often at high speed and with only inches clearance? What do they think will happen if the pedestrian stops, steps sideways or attempts to cross the road while they are overtaking?
To address the issue of road safety, I agree that this is a very real concern. However, motorcyclists face the same dangers as cyclists. Should they be allowed on the pavements if they cut their speed to 15 or 20mph? It's the same logic.
You may also want to watch:
Cycling on the pavement is dangerous, selfish and against the law. If you are too nervous to ride on the road, please get off your bike and walk.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 6 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 9 Hundreds of Herts health workers decline COVID-19 vaccines
- 10 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
Flora Grove, St Albans.