SIR, — Re C. Stewart s defence of cycling on pavements (Herts Advertiser, May 29). As a pedestrian and a cyclist I would urge C. Stewart to stop cycling on pavements. As a pedestrian I have been hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement. As a mother I have
SIR, - Re C. Stewart's defence of cycling on pavements (Herts Advertiser, May 29). As a pedestrian and a cyclist I would urge C. Stewart to stop cycling on pavements.
As a pedestrian I have been hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement. As a mother I have watched in horror as my toddler came within a heartbeat of being mown down by a pavement cyclist whizzing down the hill just as she tottered out of our driveway. As a passer-by I have seen a pavement cyclist slam at speed into a car pulling out of its driveway.
Do cyclists realise that pedestrians tend to be unaware of their presence until they overtake, often at high speed and with only inches clearance? What do they think will happen if the pedestrian stops, steps sideways or attempts to cross the road while they are overtaking?
To address the issue of road safety, I agree that this is a very real concern. However, motorcyclists face the same dangers as cyclists. Should they be allowed on the pavements if they cut their speed to 15 or 20mph? It's the same logic.
You may also want to watch:
Cycling on the pavement is dangerous, selfish and against the law. If you are too nervous to ride on the road, please get off your bike and walk.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
Flora Grove, St Albans.