SIR, — St Pancras Station has always been an interestingly mysterious place, probably because it was built on the site of a large graveyard, later had thousands of beer barrels stored beneath it and for 50 years or more had a hotel attached to the front o
SIR, - St Pancras Station has always been an interestingly mysterious place, probably because it was built on the site of a large graveyard, later had thousands of beer barrels stored beneath it and for 50 years or more had a hotel attached to the front of it - a hotel with no guests.
Here is a new mystery. Why do the Bedford to Brighton trains, after calling at St Pancras International, continue past the Marie Celeste of a station still called Kings Cross Thameslink without stopping?
These trains carry passengers, very many of whom wish to continue their journey on the lines of the London Underground and most of whom will remember that from that station it only took approximately two minutes (down steps) to join the Victoria Line or four or five minutes (down a tunnel) to join the Picadilly and Northern Line platforms.
The present uncomfortable and tedious situation is that said travellers have to alight deep at the "St Pancras International for Eurostar and other Mainline Connections" new station, then ascend two escalators before navigating a perilous path through the wheelie cases of Eurostar passengers before going around and then down again to arrive at the head of the escalators that lead back down to the London Transport Underground platforms. This takes me, a long-legged male, approximately 12 minutes of wasted time and energy - although luckily there are plenty of eating places along the way - and I would therefore like to suggest that First Capital Connect (FCC) trains be retimetabled to make a short stop - in both directions - at "Kings Cross for London Underground Connections Only".
You may also want to watch:
It could be done, could it not?
IAN W. SIMPSON,
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
Old London Road, St Albans.