SIR, — We should applaud not only those athletes who have made it to Beijing to compete but remember the thousands of members of clubs up and down the country who have helped youngsters to develop their potential. I would like to draw attention to water s
SIR, - We should applaud not only those athletes who have made it to Beijing to compete but remember the thousands of members of clubs up and down the country who have helped youngsters to develop their potential.
I would like to draw attention to water sports in particular where we have excelled. Just look at what possibilities are opened up if you can learn to swim. Several of our own club athletes have recently returned from the World Championships in Edmonton, Canada, winning gold in the Women's and Mens Under-21 competitions. They didn't benefit from the funding the Olympic athletes receive. They did it through hard work and a lot of personal sacrifice.
We should encourage our youngsters to take part in sport and provide better facilities for them. They are not all going to be Steve Redgraves or Chris Hoys but the camaraderie that you get from team activities is invaluable.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans Canoe Club.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield