SIR, — We should applaud not only those athletes who have made it to Beijing to compete but remember the thousands of members of clubs up and down the country who have helped youngsters to develop their potential. I would like to draw attention to water s
SIR, - We should applaud not only those athletes who have made it to Beijing to compete but remember the thousands of members of clubs up and down the country who have helped youngsters to develop their potential.
I would like to draw attention to water sports in particular where we have excelled. Just look at what possibilities are opened up if you can learn to swim. Several of our own club athletes have recently returned from the World Championships in Edmonton, Canada, winning gold in the Women's and Mens Under-21 competitions. They didn't benefit from the funding the Olympic athletes receive. They did it through hard work and a lot of personal sacrifice.
We should encourage our youngsters to take part in sport and provide better facilities for them. They are not all going to be Steve Redgraves or Chris Hoys but the camaraderie that you get from team activities is invaluable.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans Canoe Club.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 5 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 6 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 9 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
- 10 Hundreds of Herts health workers decline COVID-19 vaccines